In Barcelona, we live and breathe sport from Collserola to the sea. Sport is the engine that makes the city move, that unites the people of Barcelona in the city's neighbourhoods, schools, squares, parks and streets.
Sport infuses the city with its positive values: from the educational stage, in schools, to major competitions with the celebration of championships and events with an international impact and great economic weight, through to grass-roots sport. The Catalan capital has a solid network of sports clubs, associations and entities firmly established in the city that form its sporting foundations.
In Barcelona, the Barcelona Sports Institute (IBE) and the city's various players from the world of sport give impetus to a whole series of programmes and services that aim to connect the Catalan capital and respond to the needs and demands of all Barcelona's citizens.
The various activities carried out cover diverse areas and dimensions of sport.
The Barcelona Sports Institute and the city's sport education agents work together to promote the "EDUCATIONAL SPORT" dimension as a fundamental tool for:
- Educating: incorporating sport into the lives of children and young people so it becomes a lifelong habit.
- Transmitting values: teamwork, effort, personal achievement, etc. These are values that are intrinsic to sport that contribute to personal growth and promote social coexistence.
This intervention takes the form of a diverse range of sports services and activities which are educational and adapted to the needs of all kinds of children; a series of activities on which the IBE works in collaboration with the Barcelona School Sports Council (CEEB).
Programmes for Promoting Sport and Physical Activity(in school time)
A total of 36 activities involving 62,484 students from schools across the city during the 2013-14 school year:
- I run, jump and throw
- Discover the Pentathlon
- Sport for you! Gymnastics, roller hockey, handball, judo, korfball, water polo, fencing, chess, climbing, tamburello, touch rugby, rugby, volleyball, rowing and baseball.
- Competition +
- Laia plays tennis
- Film sports
- Horses and sport. Barcelona Equestrian Challenge
- Action sports
- Ja nedo (I can swim)
- Dansa Ara (Dance Now)
- It Dansa shows
- Raid atlètic (Athletics race)
- Orienteering courses
- Flic flac circus
- A la grada, passió i seny (Passion and common sense in the stands)
- Sport and education days
- Health and Sport Awards
- De marxa fent esport (Out doing sport)
Municipal Plan For School-Age Sports(after school)
More than 90,000 children participate in 139 activities delivered by 450 clubs and entities, divided into 4 programmes:
- "Esquitxa" (Splash About) for 0 to 3-year-olds (pre-school education): aquatic activities that enable children to become familiar with new sensations and relationships.
- "Mou-te" (Move About) for 3 to 6-year-olds (pre-school education): boosting children's knowledge and control of their own bodies by developing basic motor skills.
- "Descobrim l’esport" (Discovering Sport) for 6 to 12-year-olds (primary education): activities aimed at improving children's skills, so they come to recognise sport as a way of learning new things, of staying healthy and building friendships.
- "Fem esport" (Let's do Sport) for 12 to 18-year-olds (secondary education): this includes activities that aim to consolidate physical and sports activity as a healthy habit and leisure activity among young people.
The Chair of the Barcelona Sports Institute gave her initial approval, on 3 June 2014, to the terms and conditions for standardising the qualitative recognition of institutions that organise sports activities for infants and youth outside school hours and for participation in the management of grants and subsidies allocated to promoting sport.
These terms and conditions are open to scrutiny for a period of 20 working days, from 7 June to 2 July 2014.
Challenges may be presented at any office of Barcelona City Council's General Registry and, in general, by any of the means permitted under Act 30/1992, of 26 November, on the Legal System for Public Authorities and Common Administrative Procedure.
The file shall be open to public scrutiny at the Legal Secretariat of the Barcelona Sports Institute, Avda Estadi, nº 40. Opening hours: Mondays to Fridays, 9 am - 2 pm.
Other support resources:
The School Sports Council of Barcelona (CEEB) is the body responsible for regulating school competitions.
It offers 35 different sports activities for school children, which can be organised in various formats.
More than 35,000 participants took part in the different activities (competitions, recreational leagues, meetings and promotional events) organised in the
2011-2012 school year.
- Sports competitions such as school sports days and regulated competitions.
- Introduction to sport events, sports days for school children to do sport outside the competitive environment, adapting it to the needs of the participants.
- Recreational leagues, alternative sports competitions, for rewarding values other than sports results.
- Promotional days to introduce children to sport.
Holiday Activities: Olímpia Campus and Sports Camps
Summer holiday sports activity programme that takes place in 70 centres around the city (44 municipal sports centres and 26 educational centres and private sports facilities). In total there are more than 26,000 places on the programme.