In Barcelona, we live and breathe sport from Collserola to the sea. Sport is the engine that makes the city move, that unites the people of Barcelona in the city's neighbourhoods, schools, squares, parks and streets.
Sport infuses the city with its positive values: from the educational stage, in schools, to major competitions with the celebration of championships and events with an international impact and great economic weight, through to grass-roots sport. The Catalan capital has a solid network of sports clubs, associations and entities firmly established in the city that form its sporting foundations.
In Barcelona, the Barcelona Sports Institute (IBE) and the city's various players from the world of sport give impetus to a whole series of programmes and services that aim to connect the Catalan capital and respond to the needs and demands of all Barcelona's citizens.
The various activities carried out cover diverse areas and dimensions of sport.
Sport, city and well-being
In order to promote a healthy lifestyle among Barcelona's citizens, the Barcelona Sports Institute and the city's sport agents provide a range of facilities, amenities, sporting events and activities that make up the SPORT, CITY AND WELL-BEING dimension.
Facilities and amenities in the city
250 public and private sports facilities.
- 1 sports centre less than a ten-minute walk from anywhere in the city.
- 117 municipal sports facilities, of which 50 are sports centres, with more than 175,000 members in total.
- More than 600 sports spaces: 106 open-air, multi-sport and pelota courts, 96 tennis and padel tennis courts, 37 football pitches, 26 large football pitches, 16 athletics areas, 44 covered pavilions and pelota courts, 217 multi-use and specialist rooms, 18 outdoor swimming pools and 71 indoor pools.
- Olympic facilities at the service of the city, where 170 sports events are held each year, with the participation of more than 265,000 people.
- Public spaces that serve as sports facilities: Colserola Natural Park, Montjuïc Park, the beaches that line the sea front; a large number of parks, gardens and urban sites with 12 sports tracks for running and walking, around 200 km of cycle paths, 130 table tennis tables, 120 basketball courts and numerous petanque courts, among others.15 fitness apparatus circuits in the city's parks to encourage active ageing.
Mass participation sports events in the city:
More than 100 sports events in Barcelona with a total annual participation of around 245,000 people.
- Sant Antoni Fun Run
- Half Marathon
- Barcelona Marathon
- Barcelona-Sitges Vintage Rally
- El Corte Inglés Fun Run
- Firefighters' Race
- Barnatresc Urban Walks Programme
- Walk against Hunger
- Inter-college Race
- Festival on Wheels
- La Mercè Fun Run
- Swim across the Port
- Barcelona Sports and Nature
- "Neda Marcelona i Nedem plegats"
- L’Etape Barcelona-Andorra (bike race stage)
- Barnatresc International
- Lluís Companys Fun Run
- International Walk
- Women's Race
- Friendship Fun Run
- Fun Run and Walk through Collserola
- Jean Bouin
- The Nose Fun Run
- Buff Epic Run.
Events and activities
Programme and activities aimed at promoting public health through regular sport and physical activity. With three different programmes:
- Activa’t (Get active) This takes place in 13 of the city's parks, with around a thousand participants who walk, or do Tai Chi or Chi-kung.
- Camina (Walk). Promotes walking using the different routes and sports circuits available in the city. Also invites people to take part in the Barnatresc walks programme.
- Practica (Practise) Encourages the active and regular participation of people who, for medical reasons, need to improve their health and well-being through exercise. They can choose between municipal sports centres and private sports centres.