What is the Municipal Sports Council?
The Barcelona Municipal Sports Council is a forum where the various agents and players from the sports sector in Barcelona come together and participate.
• The Barcelona Municipal Sports Council is a consultative and participatory body for the sports sector to advise Barcelona City Council.
• The Barcelona Municipal Sports Council is also an instrument for furthering the promotion of sport and physical activity in the city.
Providing a space in which the sports agents themselves participate is important in order to give a voice to the various dimensions of sport, from the most local, grass-roots level to elite, high profile sport. It is important to get an idea of their specific needs and demands, and in that way, reflect together on the best ways to meet these needs.
There are a number of reasons why we now have a Municipal Sports Council:
• Because of the hugely important role sport plays in the city.
• Because there are thousands of people in Barcelona who each day do sport in clubs, associations, sports centres or simply in the streets and squares.
• Because the sports agents want to have a say in the sport that takes place in the Catalan capital.
• To give visibility to and respond to the demands, problems and needs of the various sports players in the city.