What we do?
The Barcelona Sports Institute is an autonomous body created by Barcelona City Council which is responsible for managing the sports activity carried out in the Catalan capital in an innovative and effective way, given the important role sport plays in the city's development, in raising its profile and in ensuring social cohesion in the neighbourhoods.
This work is co-ordinated and carried out in accordance with the following lines of action:Improving access to a balanced range of sports activities for all citizens, meeting the specific needs of each group.
- Spreading sports activity in Barcelona to all the city's citizens.
- Boosting the position of neighbourhood/city-level sports clubs and organisations as a key element of the sports structure of Barcelona.
- Equipping the city with public sports facilities and working in collaboration with other public and private institutions to consolidate the network of high quality facilities.
- Managing municipal sports facilities, using the different management models provided for in current regulations.
- Establishing co-operation strategies for working with other regional entities that offer sports activities that cannot be developed in the city, and which could complete range of services and activities on offer.
- Consolidating events that take place in the city, attracting new events here and creating new events held periodically.
- Creating tourist attractions related to the world of sport.
- Consolidating the structures for marketing sports activities that take place in the city.
- Promoting the use of public space for sport.
- Promoting plans related to the economic development of sport.