As Barcelona's residents, we have a very important role regarding the quality of air we breathe. A large part of reducing pollution levels depends on us and our actions. Here are a few things that can help to improve air quality.
The effects of these actions are tangible and immediate. If there is a drop in air pollution, it will have a noticeable effect on your health. And, remember, every little contribution counts!
Use less-polluting means of transport
- If possible, avoid entering Barcelona in a private vehicle, especially if it's an old diesel one: this is the main source of atmospheric pollution.
- If you need to travel, use public transport, cycle or walk: Barcelona is a small city and the distances you travel every day are quite short.
- If you need to change your vehicle, consider the benefits of buying a hybrid or electric car.
Get the most out of your car
- When you're at the wheel, use higher gears and drive smoothly, in order to reduce fuel consumption.
- Don't use air-conditioning unless you really need to.
- Have your car serviced periodically.
- Always car share, whenever you have the opportunity to do so.
Efficiency measures at home
- Make the most of natural light, use low-consumption light bulbs and switch lights off when they are not needed.
- Keep the entry and exit air passages of your air-conditioning devices free and avoid covering radiators.
- Insulate your doors and windows to reduce losses from heating or air-conditioning.
- Have your air-conditioning serviced to maintain its efficiency.
- Adjust your thermostats to recommended temperatures (20ºC-21ºC in the winter and 25ºC-26ºC in the summer).
- If possible, avoid using items like incense, candles and tobacco: they are a source of particulates.