The Barcelona City Council, through the Espai Barcelona Cuida, has published a guide of recommendations and resources for telephone support for people who care for sick or dependent people. The document provides several tips for protecting people in particular from vulnerability to Covid-19.
Washing your hands frequently, covering your mouth and nose in case of a sneeze, keeping your safety distance or avoid touching your face are just some of the recommendations we have made over the last few weeks during the general population to prevent the increase of virus spread. These tips, however, are especially important for those who care for at-risk people, such as the elderly or those with chronic illnesses (cardiovascular, pulmonary, cancer, immunodeficiencies, high blood pressure, and diabetes).
La «Recommendations and resources guide for caregivers» compiles the protocols to be followed and indicates which official sources are to be followed.
Here is a summary of the things to keep in mind:
What can the caregiver do?
- Minimize the time the carer spends in the common areas of the house
- Keep 1 or 2 meters away between the person you care for and you.
- Do not allow visits.
- Make sure that the sick person does not touch objects or surfaces that other people have touched.
- Explain to the sick or dependent person why they need to stay home.
- Caring for the person emotionally and psychologically.
What can a caregiver do to take care of herself?
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Sleep eight hours a day.
- Exercise every day.
- Maintain a normal life as far as possible and maintain a routine.
- Disconnect from the news from time to time.
- Get out every day for a while on the balcony, terrace or window.
- Reserve a space of the day to take care of yourself.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
Caregivers can contact the Barcelona Cuida space if they need support or to clarify doubts by calling 93.413.21.21 (from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Counseling has also been enabled in the following cases:
- Health queries and questions: 93.413.25.55. Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Emotional support and psychological care for housewives: 900.505.805 (free of charge). Monday to Sunday from 6 to 24h.
- Legal and labor advice: Defense Punts of the Drets Laborals of Barcelona Activa: 93 234 61 20, 93 234 61 21 and 93 234 61 22, from Monday to Friday.
- For families who have someone hired to care for people at home: 93 443 30 40 during the hours Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Outside these hours, you can write to: email@example.com.
You will find all this information in the attached guide.