The 19th International New Rose Competition will take place from 10 to 12 May in the Parc de Cervantes Rose Garden.
To mark the rose flowering season, Barcelona City Council is organizing the Barcelona International New Rose Competition, which takes place in the Parc de Cervantes Rose Garden.
The competition is aimed at breeders and growers of new rose species, as well as to the citizens of Barcelona, with a program of activities for all audiences, such as floral art and cuisine demonstrations and concerts.
The Barcelona International New Rose Competition was founded in 2001 to promote the rose garden and raise its public profile, faithful to Barcelona's rose tradition dating back to the early 20th century.
It is a world-renowned competition. The roses presented at it have been created by plant breeders by crossing existing rose species. These varieties have therefore never been marketed or seen by the public. A reserved area of the Rose Garden is home to the winning rosebushes from each edition.
Prizes in the Barcelona International New Rose Competition
The flowers that were awarded prizes in the 2019 edition by the international jury, master perfumers and associations can be viewed on this link.
The Barcelona International New Rose Competition includes prizes in an official category (awarded by the international jury and a Standing Committee) as well as prizes granted by associations and the public.
Official category: prizes awarded by the international jury and the Standing Committee:
- Award for the best hybrid tea-grandiflora rose bush
- Award for the best floribunda-polyantha rose bush
- Award for the best miniature
- Award for the best ground cover roses
- Award for the best landscape rose bush
- Award for the best climbing roses
- Special Barcelona award for the highest-scoring rose bush (of the five categories listed above)
Prizes awarded by associations and the public:
- Association of Friends of the Gardens Award for the best fragrance
- Spanish Rose Association Award for the best flower
- Spanish Association of Public Parks and Gardens Award for the most robust rose bush
- Rose Award for the Elderly from the Municipal Council of the Elderly
- Citizens’ Rose (as voted by visitors to the park during the days of the event)
The international jury is composed of professionals from the world of gardening and rose bushes, as well as creators from other disciplines, and its members vary every year.
The Standing Committee is composed of local professionals and experts. It carries out one of the official assessments between autumn and the following May, carefully following the development of the plants sent by breeders from all around the world. It awards scores for robustness, development, foliage, fragrance, resistance to pests, resilience, or the degree of novelty and interest of the flower, among other things. The second official assessment is made on site by the international jury during the competition. The jury awards scores for the flower’s interest, novelty and fragrance and the rose bush's beauty.
In addition, a special jury composed of the world's best master perfumers examines the new varieties to choose the one which, in its opinion, has the best fragrance.
History of the Parc de Cervantes Rose Garden
The Parc de Cervantes Rose Garden is a privileged spot that highlights the botanical, aesthetic and educational values of roses.
It was created in 1965 by the architects Lluís Riudor and Joaquim Maria Casamor, and currently brings together over 2,000 different species and varieties of rose bushes, with a total of more than 10,000 plants over 4 hectares.
In 2011, the Cervantes Rose Garden received the 2009 Award of Garden Excellence given by the World Federation of Rose Societies 'in recognition of its beauty, history and educational value'.
At the Parc de Cervantes Rose Garden, you will find all the representative species from the history of rose bushes as well as modern varieties. There are collections of wild roses, ancient and modern hybrids, and climbing roses. The perfume garden houses a collection of the most perfumed roses as well as an area reserved for the winning roses from previous competitions.
Visit the park through the Spanish Association of Public Parks and Gardens’ virtual platform 'Vivir los Parques':
- Palmarès-Concurs-Roses-2019.pdf (PDF 2.07 MB)
- Palmarès-Concurs-Roses-2018.pdf (PDF 764.16 KB)
- Palmarès-Concurs-Roses-2017.pdf (PDF 4.60 MB)
- Guide Rose Bush from Parc Cervantes (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 5.98 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2016 (in catalan).pdf (PDF 1.07 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2015 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 343.59 KB)
- Full document List of Winners New Roses Contest 2015.pdf (PDF 3.66 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2014 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 1.48 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2013 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 2.65 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2010 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 962.37 KB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2009 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 2.35 MB)