Barcelona’s Network of Urban Allotments is a participatory programme aimed at city residents over the age of 65, with the aim of involving them in environmental improvement activities by growing vegetables based on bio-agricultural principles.
This programme was initiated in 1997 with the launch of the Can Mestres allotments, however the first allotment that came into function in Barcelona was the Avi Allotment located in the Gràcia district, in 1986, as a result of a request made by a group of residents.
In order to enter this competition, you must meet the following requirements:
- Live in the district where the competition is taking place
- Be 65 years old or over.
- Be physically capable of agricultural work
- Submit your application within the time frame provided
- You must not live in the same household as someone who was already awarded a plot
- You must not live in the same household as someone who is also entering the same competition
- You cannot previously have been the beneficiary of a plot as part of the “Urban Allotments” project
Each one of the city’s 10 districts will periodically launch plot giveaway draws. You can consult the draws that are currently open on this page.
Online, via the specific procedure in the Procedures Portal.
You can register in-person, by requesting an appointment at the Citizen Help and Information Office (OAC) in your district. In order to request an appointment, the following options are available:
- Via the procedures and services kiosks that can be found in any Citizen Help and Information Office.
- By going to ajuntament.barcelona.cat/cita.
- You can also phone 010 (freephone) or, if you call from outside the Barcelona Metropolitan Area, 931 537 010 (normal rates apply).
Please bring the following documents:
- Application form (OAC)
- Photocopy of your DNI (Identity document)
Once the registration period closes, the initial list of successful applicants and those who have been excluded will be published in the Citizens Advice Office in the corresponding district and a period for filing appeals will open.
Once any appeals have been resolved, the admissions list will be closed and the draw will be held at the time and place indicated for each district. Depending on the plots available in the draw, a waiting list will be drawn up with a list of those who were unsuccessful.
Coming soon: new calendars for the municipal gardens of Sarrià-Sant Gervasi and Sant Andreu.