Barcelona Municipal Institute of Markets
The Barcelona markets not only provide an experience of positive community life but they also become a driver of the neighbourhoods by leading the way in commerce. They are key elements in the economic development and creation of employment in each neighbourhood.
Aside from being synonymous with the values associated with social, environmental and cultural sustainability, the markets help to improve city residents’ quality of life, encouraging them to eat a healthy, balanced diet and introducing new services in line with the needs of twenty-first century traders.
And so we look to the future while never losing sight of the past in the sense that the buildings that house them are a reflection of the city and its residents. These constructions are being comprehensively modernised and renovated to be more competitive and to provide the services requested by citizens.
Shopping in markets forms part of a lifestyle totally committed and connected to the Mediterranean model: healthy foodstuffs, local produce and a friendly atmosphere. Their promotion of fresh, quality, varied and healthy produce makes markets the healthiest option for city residents who are increasingly prioritising their diet and good eating habits.
Three main lines of action have been defined to pursue the municipal markets’ mission over the next decade.
The markets are a reference point for Barcelona’s neighbourhoods, providing not just a shopping experience but also an experience of community life among the city’s residents.
- To consolidate the market as one of the neighbourhood's central spots.
- To maintain neighbourhood transformation through market renovation.
- To strengthen the tradesmen’s commitment to the network.
- To promote the market-local commerce relationship.
2. Economic driver
The markets not only lead the way in commercial activity in each neighbourhood, but they are also at the forefront of the international urban market model. The market is a key driver of economic development and job creation in each neighbourhood.
- To lead the distribution of fresh food products in the city of Barcelona.
- To continue to lead the urban municipal markets management model.
- To foster a sustainable market management model.
- To continue to be consumer-directed.
Markets are synonymous with the values associated with social, environmental and cultural sustainability.
- To make the market a source of dissemination of Catalan agro-food heritage.
- To position the market as a place for informing people about healthy eating habits, gastronomy and food security.
- To ensure the economic and environmental sustainability of the markets.
- To promote the market as a defender of the social sustainability of the neighbourhood.
- To promote responsible, sustainable purchasing through grants and subsidies and training to improve competitiveness.
- To create a catalogue of services for the commercial sector together with Barcelona Activa.
- To promote the digitisation of commerce through pilot programmes such as financial aid for digital transformation and the VIBA loyalty platform.
- To develop the Strategic Markets Plan for 2015-2025.
- To renovate the Sant Andreu, Vall d’Hebron, Abaceria, Montserrat and Horta markets.
- After their first ten years’ of activity, to update and promote the Mercats de Barcelona educational programmes aimed at primary and secondary schools.