Exchange grants for artistic projects between Bregenz and Barcelona
Hangar and the Land Vorarlberg/KUB Bregenz have signed an agreement for the realization of an exchange residency program between the cities of Bregenz and Barcelona. Within this program, two artists residing in Spain will be selected to hold a residency at Kunsthaus Bregenz.
Bregenz is a remarkably and internationally well-known city of culture with many cultural highlights. The artists in residence will get the chance to work in this unique environment and will be supported to realize their artistic projects in partnership with local companies and workshops for artistic productions. This can be Kunsthaus Bregenz, the gallery of the city council (Magazin 4), the society of artists in Vorarlberg or different workshops for artistic production like Druckwerk for printmaking.
Kunsthaus Bregenz is an institute for the presentation of outstanding contemporary art that is active internationally. Thanks to its ambitious exhibition program and its unique architecture, the Kunsthaus is also internationally renowned amongst aficionados of both art and architecture. It was designed by the Swiss architect Peter Zumthor on behalf of the Austrian Federal State of Vorarlberg and was constructed between 1990 and 1997. Peter Zumthor won the Mies van der Rohe Award for European Architecture in 1998 for the Kunsthaus. In 2009, he was honoured with the Pritzker Prize, the most prestigious award for architects. Artists are invited to respond to the building’s architecture or to even enter into a symbiosis with it. For this reason, a large part of the work on display has been created on site and especially for the institution. The exchange artists are invited to research the unique spaces of the building and can use all facilities of Kunsthaus Bregenz.
Objective of this call and its addressees
The aim of this call is to offer a grant for two artists residing in Spain to spend two months in the city of Bregenz (Austria).
Participation in this competition is open to artists of all ages, resident in Spain, who develop proposals in the field of visual arts, performance, installations, sound art, audiovisual, new media, etc.
The residency will last two months, from May 1st to June 30th, 2020.
Benefits and endowment of the grant
- Financial endowment: €1500 for living expenses (€750/month), €500 for artist fees, €750 for production, €250 for travel expenses (gross amounts).
- Accommodation and work space in the city of Bregenz.
- Access to Kunsthaus Bregenz, the gallery of the city council (Magazin 4), the society of artists in Vorarlberg or different workshops for artistic production, according to availability.
Commitments of the selected project
The selected artists will commit to:
- Participate in the activities proposed by the hosting institution during their residence.
- Submit a final report of the project to the centres and an assessment of the residence during the two months following its completion.
- Make a presentation of the results of the residence at the end of the same in Barcelona, which will take place within the framework of the Paratext. Travel expenses to Barcelona are responsibility of the artists and can be deducted from their production endowment.
- Include the logos of the participating institutions in the communication of the project carried out during the residency.
The application must be sent in .pdf format to mail email@example.com with the subject “Exchange grant Hangar Land Vorarlberg/KUB Bregenz”.
The document must contain:
- Personal data (Full name, date and place of birth, ID or passport number, email contact, telephone contact).
- Biography (2500 characters maximum, spaces included)
- Artist statement: It is not a biography, it is a brief discourse on the artistic identity of the work, that which characterizes it thematically, theoretically and formally (2500 characters maximum, spaces included).
- Letter of motivation (2500 characters maximum, spaces included).
- Graphic dossier (up to a maximum of 10 images with their technical specifications).
- URL (only for videos). This field is optional if you have attached images to the graphic dossier and is obligatory if you do not attach images. Write a single URL to a video or animation (personal web, vimeo, youtube, blip.tv or any other). The commission will watch a maximum of 5 minutes of video.
- Personal web URL.
* Applications may be submitted in English.
Deadline for submission of applications
The deadline for receipt of applications is January 16th, at midnight (GMT+1).
Pre-selection and final selection process
The selection of artists will be made through this public call. The final selection of the winner will be made by a joint jury composed by members of Hangar’s Programme Committee and Land Vorarlberg/KUB Bregenz which will meet before the end of January 2020. The resolution of this call will be communicated to the selected artist by e-mail within one week.
Acceptance of the terms and conditions of the jury’s decision
Participation in this competition implies acceptance of the terms and conditions and the decision of the jury, as well as any changes that may occur subsequently as a result of factors outside the centres.
Telf: +34 308 40 41 ext.22