Art Investigation Programme - Casa Planas Sound Experiences (Palma de Mallorca)
Casa Planas, with the support of the Teatre Principal, announces its first edition of Artistic Research Residencies to develop and produce innovative projects that promote creation and research in the field of all living arts.
The Centre d’Investigació Artística i de Cultura Contemporània Casa Planas (Casa Planas Artistic and Contemporary Culture Research Centre) promotes a programme of research residencies for creators and thinkers linked to contemporary art.
They are looking for projects that research contemporary image through sound art. They are interested in supporting projects that hybridize disciplines, that deal with contemporary agenda topics and have a socio-educational profile.
The programme fosters contexts for creation through workspaces, research processes, round tables, co-creation labs and meetings between artists, curators, groups and professionals in the sector. The meeting and connection with other residents of Casa Planas and with other similar projects of the Teatre Principal residency program will be encouraged.
The aim of the programme is to embrace national and international projects to, on one hand, bring projects from abroad to the island’s local artists and on the other, to stimulate reflection and research from a local perspective around the cultural flow and international influences in the Balearic islands.
A short publication will be created in order to document the creation processes of the selected residents.
Artists, thinkers, researchers, cultural producers and curators working in the field of sound art. They can apply individually or as a group. 18 years old and over.
Length of the residency
2 months, September and October of 2020
2.500€ (taxes included) for production and fees
The grant doesn’t cover accommodation or travel expenses.
- Selected artists must keep a record of the development of their project, to be presented within a month of finishing the residency. The record should be between 4 and 10 pages long and include high quality images of the work process.
- Artists are required to donate their project, together with a copy -if reproduction is possible- to become part of the Casa Planas archive. If there are no such materials available, documentation of the process and the results will need to be presented. These records will not be used at any time by Casa Planas for any commercial purposes.
- Neither the Casa Planas nor the Teatre Principal logos may be published without prior approval obtained via email from the management of each center.
- Any public interventions or written communications, be they individual or joint, linked to the projects as well as all the publications made during the period in which the grant is enjoyed and in the technical file of the project in future samples, must acknowledge the status of research resident at Casa Planas and the Teatre Principal.
- Successful candidates must leave the workspace in the same conditions in which they found it.
- Successful candidates may not have previously undertaken the same residency at Casa Planas.
- Successful candidates must spend 80% of their residency period working personally in Casa Planas.
- Successful candidates will have to attend the activities programmed within the framework of the residences such as visits and professional meetings.
Casa Planas commitment
- Provision of structure and technological resources to the extent of their possibilities, including basic sound and projection equipment.
- To offer workspace provided with WIFI, a rest area and professional exchange with the Casa Planas community of residents. Access to equipped studios such as recording or radio.
- To provide support in the creative process.
- Access to cultural activities at Casa Planas.
- Networking and introduction to cultural agents in Palma and to the cultural sector.
- Documentation of the residency processes for a video to be released in the future.
- Communication and dissemination of the activities related to the residency.
- A public presentation of the work developed at Casa Planas on a date to be agreed upon with the directors of Casa Planas and the Teatre Principal.
- To work according to the Best Practices Manual by offering an open and transparent call. A contract will be drawn. More than 15% of the budget will go to the creator. In line with the needs of the sector, payments will be made in two parts: 60% when signing acceptance of the project and 40% upon delivery of the final project report.
- To respond to the aims of the Casa Planas project by nurturing the cultural context. To provide resources for artistic research and production. Use of the Planas Archive to explore new experimental languages with social return.
- Access to the Planas Archive unpublished material.
- As part of the ART INVESTIGATION PROGRAMME, the project is likely to move around and be presented in the Balearic Islands and/or internationally.
The Casa Planas management will make a pre-selection of candidates.
The jury will be made up of:
- a representative of the Teatre Principal
- a professional in the sector
- a representative of Casa Planas (one vote)
The deadline for applications ends on the 15th of July, 2020 at 24.00h.
a) It is imperative to:
- Offer a socio-educational programme
- Work in an interdisciplinary way
- Work on the sound aspect in the research
b) Aspects that will be assessed:
- The socio-educational programme offer
- The interdisciplinary work process
- The work on the sound aspect in the research
Special value will be given to:
- Projects that submit a proposal linked to the Planas Archive
- Projects related to the subject of archives, postcards, landscape, tourism and memory
- Mediation projects working with mental health collectives or the Casa Planas neighbourhood
- Projects which reflect on environmental issues
- Proposals from people who have a migratory background
- Innovation projects that delve into new distribution channels and cultural access with low physical presence
- The viability of the project, the innovation and creativity of the proposal
- The cultural, artistic and social impact and projection
Deadline for applications: 15th of July, 2020 at 24.00h
Resolution: Before July 30th, 2020
All applications must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the following information:
a) Subject: Sound research
b) You should attach:
- Project to be developed during the residency with an explanatory text (maximum 1 page)
- Artistic statement, C.V. and portfolio (maximum 5 pages)
- Socio-educational or mediation programme. With a description of the target group, collaborating entity (if it already has one), number of beneficiaries, duration and regularity of the dynamics
- Work calendar
- Completed application form including contact information
Only one PDF (maximum 20MB) will be admitted.
The application may be written in Catalan or Spanish.
Videos or audios must be sent via internet links. No pen drives or other devices will be accepted.
971 96 67 51