International and national call for stays at Hangar residence
Hangar opens a call for artists of any nationality who need the services, the work spaces, the accommodation and the context offered by the centre for the development of their research project and/or artistic production.
Residence for artists
Hangar’s artist’s residence is located at the entrance to the factory complex where the centre is located. The house has a ground floor and a first floor (80,99 m2 and 62,59 m2 respectively). Each floor has two double bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room and a kitchen. In addition, it has exit to a garden.
The artists housed in the residence have a room for individual use and share a kitchen-dining room and a bathroom with another resident artist.
The work space
The work space offered within the framework of this call consists of a workplace of between 30 and 60 m2*, located on the first floor of one of the warehouses that form part of the centre. The place has a work table, electric socket, water tap, Internet connection (wi-fi), showers and heating.
*The spaces of 30m2 are for individual use and those of 60m2 are shared by 2 artists.
This call is aimed at artists of any age, gender and nationality who develop projects in the field of contemporary public art, visual arts, performance, installations, audiovisual and new media, sound experimentation, artistic research and interdisciplinary projects.
- Accommodation and work space: 525 euros per month + 21% VAT.
- Prices include electricity, water, internet and wi-fi.
The expenses of the trip and stay in Barcelona are in charge of the artist.
Hangar offers the following resources to residents selected through this solicitation:
- Use of the following services free of charge: digital image laboratory and video desktop publishing, Hangar spaces (sets and multipurpose room) and rental of audiovisual material.
- Accompaniment during the development of the project:
- Free advice on matters relating to artistic production (advice on production planning, preparation and management of budgets, etc.).
- Free consultancy once a week as part of Open Thursdays from Hangar laboratories and resident groups.
- Free access to workshops and activities that take place in Hangar.
- Dissemination of the project on the website and organization of a public presentation within the framework of the Paratext, a monthly programme of presentations by artists residing in Hangar of long and short duration, as well as international residences.
Attention: the residency does not include any medical insurance. It is mandatory that each resident personally arrange medical insurance in their country of origin valid for the period of their residence to Hangar.
The application will be sent in pdf format to marzia(at)hangar.org with the subject line “Call for International and National Residence 2020 Hangar”. The document must contain:
- Personal data (full name, date and place of birth, ID or passport number, email contact, telephone contact).
- Dates during which you want to carry out the residence (to choose between those that appear in the bases).
- Artist statement: It is not a biography; it is a brief discourse on the artistic identity of the work, that which characterizes it thematically, theoretically and formally (0 of 2500 characters, spaces included).
- Curriculum Vitae (2500 characters maximum, spaces included).
- Letter of motivation (2500 characters maximum, spaces included).
- Project (2500 characters maximum, spaces included).
- Graphic Dossier (up to a maximum of 6 images with their technical specifications).
- URL (only for videos). This field is optional if you have attached images to the graphic dossier, it is mandatory if you do not attach images. Write a single URL to a video or animation (personal web, vimeo, youtube, blip.tv or any other). The commission will watch a maximum of 5 minutes of video.
- Personal web URL.
Selection process and criteria
The selection will be carried out by the Hangar Programme Committee, taking into account the applicant’s CV, the interest and feasibility of the proposal, as well as the adjustment of the project to the resources offered by Hangar and its network of collaborators.
Formalization of the residency
The selected candidates will have to pay a deposit of 10% of the total cost of the residence during the 15 working days from the communication of the result. Failure to make this payment within the established deadlines implies the cancellation of the residence hall.
Attention: once the residence hall has been formalized, the dates cannot be modified.
The deadline for submitting the application is January 22, 2020, at 23:59 (GMT+1).
The result of the final selection shall be communicated by January 31, 2020.