The Democratic Innovation Department ( belonging to the Culture, Education, Science and Community Area) is opening the presentation of offers for the management of the Digital and Democratic Innovation Athenaeum, located in the Canódromo building; a new facility that is proposed as a space for innovation, experimentation, applied research that aims to host an ecosystem of projects and initiatives around critical technology, participatory democracy and digital culture. A citizen’s laboratory in technology and democracy that seeks to generate dynamics of collaboration between public institutions, organized communities, social projects, research centers, citizenship and a network of spaces that share similar goals.
The main objectives, which derive from the document Project PAM 2020-2023 approved in the Government Commission on 16 January 2020 and which the managing company must take into account in its actions are
1. To contribute to Barcelona being the European capital of ethical science and technology, as well as a global reference for social and democratic innovation. To contribute to making Barcelona the European capital of ethical science and technology and a global reference for social and democratic innovation.
2. Facing the great challenges of the network society, addressing issues that currently affect citizens, both globally and locally (technological change, data policies, artificial intelligence, political participation in the digital society, etc …), with a critical and participatory perspective.
3. To encourage experimentation, prototyping and scaling up and to support projects that critically explore the problems and possibilities between technology, science and society, and that innovate in their governance in a democratic way. Special encouragement will be given to those projects and proposals capable of generating prototypes for action.
4. To facilitate access to education, training and capacity building for all citizens in science, technology and society from a critical and democratic perspective.
5. To promote collaboration and cooperation networks between innovation centres, public equipment, laboratories, and creation and experimentation centres in order to develop shared programmes for innovation and digital and democratic literacy.
More info, here (in Catalan).