The publicly owned centre will offer training in six different fields, with thirty young people between the ages of 16 and 24 who neither study nor work able to go back to school and access the job market with a degree of specialisation.
The Salesians Sant Jordi and the Fundació El Llindar are the two entities tasked with running the centre. Both of them already run second chance schools in Catalonia accredited by the Spanish Second Chance School Network.
The goal of the school, located in the Navas neighbourhood in Sant Andreu, is to school young people between the ages of 16 and 24 who neither study nor work, enabling them to get back into education and access the job market once they have specialised.
Two free years
The training will last a maximum of two years and will be completely free of charge. Tailor-made training will be given in the first year and in their second year students will be able to follow courses to become professionals, such as vocational training, higher educational courses and professional certificates.
Students will be able to specialise in six fields:
- Hotels and tourism
- Commerce and marketing
- Electricity and electronics
- Socio-cultural services
- Physical and sports activities
- Information and communications
The project has an educational side to it, as well as offering personal guidance to provide youngsters with comprehensive support. The itineraries combine technical and professional training with resources to work on basic and cross-cutting skills and support for labour insertion.
- Analysis: The youngsters will identify their preferences and recognise their skills so that a personalised work plan can be developed.
- Empowerment: This stage focuses on identifying skills and needs with a view to their professional future.
- Definition of the personal work plan.
- Tutorship: Each student will be assigned a tutor for at least two hours a week to address difficulties in their personal and educational progress.
- Training in basic skills: primary skills will be boosted, such as maths, reading and writing.
- Technical and professional training: This stage depends on whether the student decides whether to return to regulated education or embark on technical and professional training. If they opt for secondary education, the path to follow will be agreed with the Education Consortium. If they opt for technical training, the Second Chance School will provide guidance on where they can do it.