Over the years, apart from establishing measures and initiatives in the area of improving the control and penal system's response, the Council's debates and agreements have also centred on situations and phenomena of a social nature which were of concern to the city. For example, the case of foreign, unaccompanied minors (MENAS), violence at football stadiums, the impact of security on the tourism sector and exploitation networks involved in unauthorised street hawking.
The Council has also set up working groups on new young-consumer patterns, violence in sport, youth violence, fast-track justice, repeat offending, alien status, commerce, tourism and security in schools. Public policies, and especially on security, must guarantee the exercise of rights in the city. Public and private operators must therefore work together to make their first contribution towards establishing a collectively suitable public security policy.
As a body at the city's disposal for sharing diagnostics, information, interests and concerns in the area of security, the Barcelona Urban Security Council, has to gather these contributions; which is why representatives from women's, young people's, immigration, LGTBI groups, senior citizens and gypsy organisations have been included.
Given the importance of the third sector as a prevention operator and the education community as an institution with physical and formal places where the vocation for citizenship development is very clear, representatives from the Third Sector Committee and the Municipal Schools Council have been included.
- The Mayor of Barcelona who presides over it
- Head of the Area for Prevention and Security
- Representatives from municipal groups
- The Generalitat of Catalonia's Director-General of Citizen Security
- Head of Barcelona Metropolitan Police Region The Generalitat's police force - Mossos d’Esquadra
- Government Delegation to Catalonia
- Provincial Head Prosecutor for Barcelona
- Barcelona Senior Court
- Head of Prison and Rehabilitation Services for Catalonia
- Director-General of Penal Enforcement in the Community and Juvenile Justice
- Director of the Prevention and Security Area
- Head of the Guàrdia Urbana police force
- Higher Prefecture of the National Police Force in Barcelona
- Director of Prevention, Fire Extinction and Rescue Service
- Official Lawyers' Association
- Association of Journalists
- Official Court Representatives' Association
- Barcelona Comerç Foundation
- Federation of Barcelona Local Residents' Associations
- Turisme de Barcelona
- Federation of Catalan Parents' Associations
- Federation of Secondary-Education Parents' Associations
- Confederation of CCOO trade union in Catalonia
- UGT trade union in Catalonia
- National Employment Agency
- Representatives from women's, young people's, immigration, LGTBI groups', senior citizens' and gypsy associations
- Municipal Schools' Council
- Department of Prevention Services, which acts as secretary and provides administrative support