As Barcelona's residents, we have a very important role regarding the quality of air we breathe. A large part of reducing pollution levels depends on us and our actions. Here are a few things that can help to improve air quality. The effects of these actions are tangible and immediate. If there is a drop in air pollution, it will have a noticeable effect on your health.
Choose sustainable forms of transport
- Leave your car at home wherever possible, choosing public transport instead.
- If you cycle or walk, there are health benefits, as well as saving time and money.
If you drive, do so efficiently
- Car-share with others whenever the opportunity arises.
- Combine it with public transport.
- Carry out scheduled maintenance on your vehicle.
- Avoid wasteful use of air conditioning.
- When driving, accelerate and brake gently to reduce emissions.
- Ensure your tyre pressure is correct
Efficiency measures at home
- Make the most of natural light, use low-consumption light bulbs and switch lights off when they are not needed.
- Keep the entry and exit air passages of your air-conditioning devices free and avoid covering radiators.
- Insulate your doors and windows to reduce losses from heating or air-conditioning.
- Have your air-conditioning serviced to maintain its efficiency.
- Adjust your thermostats to recommended temperatures (20ºC-21ºC in the winter and 25ºC-26ºC in the summer).