Demographic and urban growth, coupled with the effects of the climate crisis, have all led to greater drainage demands in the city. To respond to this need, increase the capacity of the primary sewerage network and reduce the risk of flooding from heavy rainfall, the drainage tank beneath Av. Diagonal is being widened. The tank is a major hydraulic and sanitary infrastructure, built in the 19th century. The project is also essential for the future link-up of the city’s two tram networks.
The project to widen the drainage tank in Av. Diagonal will be carried out in the section between C/ Girona and Passeig de Sant Joan. It will enable the drainage capacity of the infrastructure to be increased, with the maximum flow volume for residual and rainwater rising from 96 m3 per second to 160 m3 per second, an increase of 70%. The section is 309 metres long and work should take 14 months, concluding in January 2022 and costing 7.7 million euros. The second stage will involve widening the section all the way to Plaça de Francesc Macià.
The project corresponds to the process to adapt the city to the effects of the climate crisis and will reduce the flood risk in cases of torrential rain, as well as the circulation of water in Av. Diagonal and the sewerage system in C/ Fontanals, C/ Girona and C/ Bailèn, extending the useful life of this infrastructure. The work is a priority under the comprehensive master plan for the sanitisation of the city of Barcelona, to meet the commitments of the climate emergency declaration in relation to the sewerage system.
Disruptions to traffic
Traffic will be restricted in the central road section in Av. Diagonal as from 23 November, between C/ Aragó and C/ Roger de Llúria.
Drivers are recommended to use the following alternatives:
- C/ Aragó or C/ Mallorca, in the direction of the Llobregat.
- C/ Rosselló or C/ València, in the direction of the Besòs.
- Six stops will be out of service and the following TMB routes will be changed: 6, 33, 34, V19, D50 and 19.
- Two stops will be out of service and there will be changes to the Tugsal lines N1 and N4.
- Three new stops will be created to cover the service, as well as existing stops.
- Users travelling in the direction of the Besòs are recommended to use the bike lane in C/ Girona and the one in C/ València to decongest the section in Av. Diagonal.