During episodes of NO2 pollution, public transport available in the metropolitan area of Barcelona is increased by 10%, the T-Aire card is activated and bus lanes are opened at city access points, to foster a more sustainable mobility. For a city without fumes.
Reinforcing public transport during pollution episodes
- Metro: Reinforcement during peak hours with one more train on each line, and increasing train frequency from 3-4 minutes to 3 minutes.
- Bus: Reinforcing routes with the highest demand, with over 50 additional buses. 30 buses are added to the BMA metropolitan bus lines at peak times, 15 in Baix Llobregat and another 15 in Barcelonès Nord. The Exprés.cat bus (Generalitat) increases its service with 25 buses on the Mataró, Vall de Tenes, Caldes de Montbui, Sentmenat, Vic, Sabadell, Igualada, Esparreguera, Corbera de Llobregat, Vallirana and Sant Pere de Ribes lines.
- Tram: Greater tram frequency; 4 minutes instead of the usual 5, between 7 am and 10 pm. Two double units are added to the T1 and T4 lines and the service is reinforced on the T5 and T6 lines at off-peak times.
- FGC:The Vallès and Llobregat-Anoia lines and the Sant Cugat del Vallès - Barcelona bus are reinforced in off-peak times.
- Rodalies de Catalunya: Peak times are extended until 11 am on the R1 and R4 lines.
T-Aire and T-Verda Cards
In an NO2 pollution episode, a specific transport ticket is introduced, with the aim of encouraging private-vehicle users to transfer to the public transport system. T-Aire.
The T-Aire is a multi-person two journey card – from zones one to six – for use on the day it is validated. They are sold at public transport operators’ automatic ticket machines on days when the Generalitat activates its NO2 pollution-episode protocol. The price is the same as two journeys with the T-10, and a 10% discount is applied. Further information
To encourage the withdrawal of the most polluting old vehicles, a public transport ticket which allows up to three years of free travel on the metropolitan public transport system is being introduced. T-Verda.
T-Verda: A ticket which allows up to three years of free public transport (metro, city and intercity bus, FGC, Renfe) in exchange for getting rid of a polluting vehicle, as long as a new vehicle is not acquired during the ticket’s period of validity. Residents of the 36 districts making up the Barcelona Metropolitan Area can benefit from these cards when they de-register and scrap a light diesel vehicle up to Euro 3 (manufactured before 2005), as well as petrol or gas vehicles up to Euro 1 (manufactured before 1996) and pre-Euro or Euro 1 type motorcycles. Further information
Plan your route
Look for the best way to plan your daily journeys and save money and air-polluting emissions from private vehicles by using public transport wherever possible. If you have no alternative and must use a private vehicle, share it or combine its use with public transport.
Check your route on the website: Getting there
Bus lane access to the city
To facilitate bus traffic within the metropolitan area, a bus lane from Gran Via (C31 South) to the municipality of L’Hospitalet has been implemented, providing continuity for Barcelona's structural network.
In the event of an NO2 pollution episode, a temporary bus lane is opened on the B-23 from Molins de Rei to Carrer d’Albert Bastardas, where it joins the city’s network of permanent bus lanes.
Comprehensive bicycle-lane network
One of the strategies for reducing atmospheric pollution in Barcelona is the increased space for using bicycles. Bicycles are the most non-polluting, sustainable and efficient mode of transport available, both within and outside the city.
Barcelona has a network of more than two hundred kilometres of safe cycle lanes, providing continuity, better signage and covering the entire municipality. Further information: Bicycle Website
The Barcelona Metropolitan Area offers a selection of bicycle services, including: bicycle lanes, green tracks, BiciBox and Bicing stations, and connections to public transport. Further information: BMA cycle network
Park & Ride
Public subsidies and incentives for sustainable mobility
Help with purchasing low-emission vehicles; discounts on taxes, tolls and other mobility-linked charges; support for vehicle fleets.
- Discounts on mechanically powered vehicle tax (IVTM) of up to 75%
- Free regulated parking on roads (Green Area) and free charging at electric vehicle charging stations
- Incentives to buy alternative energy vehicles aimed at the transport sector (taxi, goods transport) and for private use
- Registration tax (vehicles for people with disabilities, vehicles with over 9 places, among others)
- Discounts in tolls along the Generalitat's highways
- Access to Bus-VAO lanes