Sarrià's Old Quarter is an ideal place to deploy the city's very first door-to-door waste-collection system.
This is a pioneering system which will improve the quality of public areas for local residents:
- More free public space as a result of withdrawing the containers for plastic packaging and paper-cardboard waste.
- Improvements to urban furniture with the introduction of new litter bins with lids, for small items of rubbish.
- Cleaner streets and squares
- Improved quality for all types of collected waste, and especially organic waste (a reduction in improper waste disposal).
- Improved air quality and a reduction in noise levels.
The deployment of the door-to-door collection system is divided into three stages. Stage 1 involves information and participatory sessions, that will begin in mid October 2017, and continue until December. The Main Citizen Care Office will already be in this first stage and environmental information officers taking part in several events.
Stage 2 involves a communication campaign, starting in January 2018, during which the necessary materials will be distributed: buckets, rubbish bags, informative material, etc.
The door-to-door collection system is scheduled to become operational on 19 February 2018.
Weekly monitoring has been carried out on the waste-collection system's progress since its launch in February 2018:
- Selective waste has seen an increase in values which are now over 55%.
- More than 14,000 kg of selective waste is being collected every week.
- The organic waste is of high quality, with a 2% level of impurities.
Further details on the weekly and monthly development of Sarrià Vell's “Door-to-Door” waste collection is available in the following specific reports:
How the service works
Under the current model of waste collection, any household waste must be sorted before it is deposited on the street.
Whatever the model of waste collection used, the elements to be separated are:
- Organic waste: meat and fish remains, dead flowers, corks, egg and shellfish shells, kitchen paper, etc.
- Recyclable (plastic and metal): water bottles, plastic bags, drinks cans, bottle tops and jar lids, aluminium foil, polystyrene trays, plastic plates and cups, small steel wires, drawing pins, etc.
- Glass containers: bottles, jars, etc.
- Paper and cardboard: cardboard boxes, newspapers, magazines, etc.
- Rubbish: cigarette butts, floor sweepings, cotton wool, ballpoint pens, etc.
- Sanitary waste: nappies, sanitary towels, animal excrement, etc.
Public involvement in door-to-door waste collection is key to the achievement of all its planned benefits.
It is important for local residents to make a commitment to using the system properly and fostering pride in being the first neighbourhood to implement it.
The door-to-door collection system involves new habits for city residents, as they have to comply with the day stated for taking out the agreed waste element as well as the timetable for dumping their rubbish (from 8 pm to 10 pm) and for collecting community or commercial containers (before 10 am on the following day).
In addition, they will have to phone in advance to request the service for pruning waste collections; sanitary waste is collected four times a week; the collection of organic commercial waste extends to all bars and restaurants in the area and glass bottles and jars must be taken to the green container.
Emergency collection areas provide an alternative way of handing over waste products.
This complementary service will be carried out on days when there is no scheduled collection (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) and run during the morning.
The service consists of a mobile unit with several timetables and locations within the area:
- 08:00 am to 08:50 am - Fontcoberta and Bonaplata street junction
- 09:00 am to 09:50 am. - Placeta de Can Garriga
- 10:30 am to 12:00 am. - Plaça Sant Vicenç de Sarrià
- 12:15 am to 01:45 pm - Plaça de la Vila