The 17th Barcelona International New Roses Competition was taking place from 12 to 14 May at the Parc de Cervantes' Rose Garden.
Barcelona International New Roses Competition
Barcelona holds the annual Roses Noves (New Roses) International Contest coinciding with the roses blooming season. It takes place in the rose bushes from the gardens of the Parc de Cervantes (Avinguda Diagonal 708-716. Barcelona). The contest, which is the central event of the call, is addressed at breeders and growers of new species of roses. Alongside the competition, there is also a programme of activities for all ages around roses, such as demonstrations of floral art, gastronomy and music concerts by the Barcelona Local Music Band. The International Contest is organized by the City Council and sponsored by companies and organizations from the sector.
The New Roses International Contest was created in 2001 to promote the dissemination and projection of rose gardens according to the rose tradition in Barcelona which dates back to the early decades of the last century. It allows meeting the last news from the sector while bringing together the most prestigious experts from the international arena coinciding with the flowering time.
A space within these gardens is reserved to the winning rose bushes every edition, which has a great international recognition. Roses entered in the contest have been created by plant breeders by crossing existing species. They are unknown varieties which have not been marketed yet.
Barcelona Roses Noves International Contest Awards
This International Contest has official awards by the International Jury and the Permanent Committee, as well as awards by organizations or citizens.
Official category: awards by the International Jury and the Permanent Committee:
· Best tea-grandiflora hybrid rose bush
· Best floribunda-poliantha rose bush
· Best mini-carpeting rose bush
· Best ladscaping rose bush
· Best climbing rose bush
· Special "Barcelona" award to the top rose bush with higher amou (among the 5 categories above)
Awards by organizations and citizens:
· Associació d'Amics dels Jardins award to the best fragance
· Asociación Española de la Rosa to the best flower
· Asociación Española de Parques y Jardines Públicos to the strongest rose bush
· Rose de la Gent Gran by Consell Municipal de la Gent Gran
· Rosa Ciutadana Award (voted by park visitors during the contest days)
In the official category of the contest there are awards by the Jury and a Permanent Committee. The International Jury consists of professionals linked to the world of gardening and roses, as well as artists from other disciplines, and varies every year. The Commission is composed of technical and local experts and performs one of the official evaluations from the fall until May by following closely the evolution of the plant which worldwide breeders sent. This Committee assesses in terms of strenght, development, foliage, fragrance, resistance to pests, persistence or the interest and novelty of the flower, among other criteria. The second official evaluation by the International Jury is held in situ at the time of conclusion of the contest and assess the interest of the flower, its novelty, fragrance and beauty.
For the fourth year running a special jury made up of the world's best Master Perfumers will also be choosing from among the new varieties the one that presents the best fragrance, according to their criteria.
History of the rose bush from Parc Cervantes
The Rose Park Cervantes is today one of the most emblematic green areas in Barcelona, both for its popularity, which hosts unique species, and for the obvious beauty of the surroundings. It is a privileged space that allows highlighting the botanical, aesthetic and educational values of roses.
It was created in 1965 by the architects Lluís Riudor and Joaquim Maria Casamor and nowadays has more than 2,000 species and varieties of roses, plus more than 10,000 plants in an area of 4 hectares. The rose bush from Parc Cervantes, which is excellently oriented towards the south-east, allow visitors to explore the world of roses and developments related to its cultivation and improvement.
In 2011 it was awarded as the "Award of Garden Excellence 2009" by the World Federation of Rose Societies "in recognition of its beauty, history and educational value." There is a plaque at the entrance which reminds visitors this recognition.
In Parc Cervante there are all representative species of the history of roses and modern varieties. You can find collections of wild roses, old and new hybrid varieties, climbing bushes, the most aromatic roses and an area for winning bushes from previous international contests held in Barcelona.
Online tools by the platform "Vivir los Parques" from the Spanish Association of Public Parks and Gardens:
- Palmares Concurs Internacional de Roses Noves 2017.docx.pdf (DOCX 1.75 MB)
- Concurs Internacional de Roses Noves 2017.pdf (PDF 133.79 KB)
- Guide Rose Bush from Parc Cervantes (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 5.98 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2016 (in catalan).pdf (PDF 1.07 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2015 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 343.59 KB)
- Full document List of Winners New Roses Contest 2015.pdf (PDF 3.66 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2014 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 1.48 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2013 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 2.65 MB)
- List of winners Roses Noves Contest 2010 (in Catalan).pdf (PDF 962.37 KB)