All the necessary procedures and information on vehicle tax for the owners of vehicles (cars, vans, motorbikes, mopeds, etc.) that can be driven on public highways.


The card payment option will not be operative between 11.30 pm and midnight


The direct debit option will not be available until further notice. Payment can still be made by debit or credit card

Direct debit

Setting up a direct debit for your regular payments brings added security and peace of mind, as well as saving you time. Bills will always be paid on time, you will know the date payment will be taken in advance, you won’t need to make a trip to your bank, and security is guaranteed.

The financial institutions where Barcelona City Council bills are to be paid by direct debit must be authorised to operate in countries where SEPA regulations are mandatory: The European Union (including Monaco and San Marino), Andorra, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Go to procedure

Complaints or appeals in relation to taxes and public-sector charges

This procedure allows you to request annulment or express disagreement with regard to a municipal tax or public-sector charge, either during the voluntary payment period or when a claim is made during the enforcement period (with additional charges and interest).

It should be borne in mind that the lodging of an appeal does not suspend the payment deadline or the collection procedure, unless a guarantee is presented to ensure payment of the debt.

Complaints or appeals may be made:

  • Via Internet: by clicking on the following link
  • By post: To the Institut Municipal d'Hisenda, natural persons only: C. Llacuna, 63 - 08005 Barcelona


Who has to pay this tax

The owners of vehicles (cars, vans, motorcycles and mopeds, buses, lorries, tractors, trailers and semi-trailers drawn by other vehicles, etc.) that can be driven on public highways, whatever their type or category.

On 1 January, the owner is obliged to pay the full tax, even if ownership of the vehicle should subsequently be transferred. The tax is paid to the town council of the municipality where the vehicle is registered with the Provincial Traffic Office.

This tax is not applicable to bicycles.

  • Owner: this is the person, company or entity whose name appears on the vehicle registration certificate issued by the Provincial Traffic Office.
  • Any vehicle registered at the provincial traffic office that has not been de-registered is considered to be roadworthy.
  • Registration certificate: document (green in colour) issued by the Traffic Office with details of the vehicle (registration number, date of registration, make, model and chassis number) and details of the owner (name, surname, name of company or entity).

The registration certificate must not be confused with the driving licence (pink). Nor should it be confused with the technical inspection card (ficha técnica) issued by the Department of Labour and Industry of the Generalitat de Catalunya, which specifies the characteristics of the vehicle and the periodic technical inspections it has undergone over the course of its life.

Last update: 17/04/2023