The international policy of the City Council is aligned with its priority actions
The aim of the Department of International Relations is first of all to promote Barcelona's interaction and impact around the world by participating in various spheres of international action, and furthermore to coordinate and give consistency and support to the City Council's international activities. This thus lends added value to the municipal government's operational priorities, such as social and global justice, diversity, the plural economy, environmental transition and active citizenship.
Always with a firm commitment to international municipal action, its efforts prioritise two major strands in order to underpin Barcelona's position within a context of global cities: by promoting bilateral relations and joint initiatives with other cities (not only to exchange knowledge and to learn from leading metropolises in various spheres, but also to promote shared policies), and by strengthening Barcelona's participation in the main international networks and organisations where the city is represented, and above all those that are based in the city.
Similarly, the Department of International Relations works closely with educational and research establishments, think-tanks and other institutions in the city to help raise awareness and forge committed, responsible and critical citizenship, and to offer research and knowledge in priority issues regarding the city in a global context.
Author of the image: Pepe Navarro.
- Report of the Department of International Relations: "The ten key areas for action. 2019-2023 Term of Office". July 2023.
- Euromediterranean Strategy of Barcelona City Council (in Catalan). April 2023.
- Asia Strategy of Barcelona City Council. November 2022.
- Barcelona, Global City. International Relations Master Plan 2020-2023. July 2020.
- Report: "The international action of the Barcelona City Council during the Covid-19 crisis". July 2020 (in Catalan).
- Barcelona and the Covid-19 outbreak: lessons learned and our way forward / Second Volume. Best Practices by the Barcelona City Council to address the Covid-19 outbreak and the city’s approach to economic and social recovery. May 2020.
- Barcelona and the Covid-19 outbreak: lessons learned and our way forward. Best Practices by the Barcelona City Council to address the Covid-19 outbreak and the city’s approach to economic recovery. April 2020.
- Report of the Department of International Relations: "The ten key areas for action. 2015-2019 Term of Office". May 2019.
Spheres for action