Barcelona City Council is taking part in the LOCALISED research project through its Commissioner for the 2030 Agenda. Funded by the EU, under its Horizon 2020 Programme, the project is to run for four years (October 2021-September 2025).
LOCALISED is managed through a consortium of 12 organisations:
- Potsdam Institut fuer Klimafolgenforschung (Germany), which is coordinating the project
- Fondazione Centro Euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici (Italy)
- Forschungszentrum Jülich GMBH (Germany)
- Catalan Institute for Energy Research Foundation (Spain)
- Universiteit Twente (Netherlands)
- Österreichische Gesellschaft fur Umwelt und Technik (Austria)
- Instytut Maszyn Przeplywowych im Roberta Szewalskiego Polskiej Akademii Nauk (Poland)
- T6 Ecosystems srl (Italy)
- Climate Media Factory GMBH (Germany)
- Barcelona City Council (Spain)
- Vienna City Council (Austria)
- Gdansk-Gdynia-Sopot Metropolitan Region (Poland)
LOCALISED's goal is to create effective and easy-to-use digital tools, based on sophisticated analytical models, which enable scenarios and pathways to be designed for city-level decarbonisation, which are consistent with the targets set by Europe for 2030 and 2050.
More specifically, there are two tools:
1) The Decarbonisation Profiler, designed by local and regional governments, with the aim of giving an impetus to municipalities or regions and their citizens in mitigation and adaptation planning. This information and support tool will provide an assessment of what certain national- and EU-level political decisions levels mean for the region. Specific combinations of feasible mitigation options for the region will be provided, based on the results. Especially vulnerable population areas and sectors will be identified and possible adaptation options shown.
2) The Net-Zero Business Consultant, designed for local and regional enterprises and organisations, will be an online interactive tool designed for communication with final users of the entrepreneurial sector and offering them information on effective mitigation and adaptation options. It will turn the results of the model and analysis of the variables into practical guidelines for users.
The project’s ultimate purpose is to speed up mitigation and adaptation measures implemented by authorities, enterprises and citizens in general.
Barcelona City Council paper
Barcelona City Council will carry out several functions in the LOCALIZED project:
- Providing data on local-scale emissions and energy, enabling the analytical models to be fed with real data.
- Carrying out activities for involving city residents and enterprises in the project and gathering their views, so that the tools designed meet their needs better.
- Testing the Decarbonisation Profiler and the Net-Zero Business Consultant in Barcelona.