Municipal policies over the last few years have been putting the emphasis on road safety, to reduce accident rates and prevent risky behaviour. In addition, Barcelona is sharing the Visió Zero project for reducing fatalities and serious injuries in traffic accidents.
It is here that the GUB provides support for the area's requests for preventing and reducing accident rates and controlling any poor road discipline, to reduce the level of associated risks.
The general duties that the Traffic Division carries out here therefore relate to information, education, awareness raising, prevention and correction of poor road discipline:
- Drafting, launching and monitoring the Barcelona Road Safety Plan
- Analysing accident rates and key-risk areas
- Education aimed at the public, especially for minors and the elderly
- Drafting proposals for improving traffic arrangements/signage
There are also specific tasks that the three units answerable to the Traffic Division are responsible for:
Central Traffic Unit
- Managing traffic.
- Regulating traffic flows and parking on public roads.
- Inspecting passenger and goods transport.
- Protecting road safety in communal and sports events.
- Accompanying transport vehicles and celebrities with exceptional needs.
Accident Investigation and Prevention Unit
- Traffic-accident assistance and investigation.
- Statement investigation and instruction.
- Analysis and study of results obtained from drug-test and alcohol-breathalyser controls.
Recorded Images Complaints Unit
- Control, validation and processing of traffic offences captured through the GUP’s technology systems.
- Assisting citizens in the proceedings that arise from these.
Of all the initiatives, preventive actions aimed at raising awareness of responsible behaviour, positive communal life, solidarity and respect are becoming increasingly important in reducing accident rates.
Here the GUP is offering training sessions for company workers who travel through Barcelona by motorcycle or moped, giving workshops to schools in the city (Safety Education Service) and preparing campaigns for providing advice for the elderly.
It also collaborates on one-off information and awareness-raising campaigns with other areas of the City Council.