The Barcelona Municipal Consumer Council is a consultative and sectoral participation body that includes user and consumer protection organisations in Barcelona city.
Pursuant to its own regulations, the Council has the following functions:
- To act as a consultative and direct citizen participation body in the municipal management of trade and consumer matters.
- To inform and advise the City Council in relation to such matters.
- To draw up studies and proposals at the City Council’s request or on its own initiative.
- To collaborate with the City Council in the organisation of events, courses, campaigns or conferences relating to technical aspects capable of making citizen organisations, as well as those relating to consumer information and awareness in general, more professional.
- To be a consultative body in the processes of drawing up laws and byelaws on trade and consumer matters.
How is it organised?
The Barcelona Municipal Consumer Council operates through plenary sessions composed of the president, the vice-president and the Standing Committee. The Municipal Consumer Council includes representatives of political parties and of consumer and user associations established in the city, as well as municipal specialists.