Found: 38 results

Does OMIC safeguard my rights? 

OMIC informs you of your rights and obligations as a consumer and, if your rights have been violated, we will advise you on the steps to follow for submitting a claim.

If I am a freelancer or a business, can I send a claim/complaint to OMIC?

Yes, since Act 20/2014 of 29 December came into force on 1 April 2015, OMIC has been able to process such claims/complaints from freelancers and micro-enterprises in their consumer relations with suppliers of basic and ongoing utility services.

Suppliers of basic and ongoing utility services such as water, gas, electricity and telecommunications suppliers.

To be regarded as a micro-enterprise under Commission Recommendation 2003/361/EC, of 6 May, the enterprise must have fewer than 10 workers or an annual turnover of under 2 million euros.

If you are a micro-enterprise, you will have to fill in and append a "micro-enterprise declaration of compliance" to your claim/complaint.

Can I come to OMIC if I have a problem with a public authority?

No, in that case you must contact the Catalan or Barcelona Ombudsman, depending on the authority you have the dispute with. 

If I don't live in Barcelona, can I submit a claim through OMIC?

Yes, providing you have a dispute with a Barcelona-based company. Otherwise, you will have to contact your local authority's consumer complaints service. If they do not have one, ring 012 for information.

What steps do I have to follow to submit a claim?

First, you should always contact directly the company you have the problem with, so that you have evidence to that effect. For example, you need to have a registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt, a stamped claim form, or an incident number if you have contacted them by phone. 

Once you have lodged a claim, the company will have a period of 30 days to answer you. If it fails to do so or the reply is not what you were expecting, you may submit a claim through OMIC for us to study and process.

You will find further information in the How to submit a claim section.

How can I send a claim?

You can bring it in person to our offices, send it by fax or email, submit it at one of the district Citizen Help and Information Offices (OAC) or fill in the claim form on the OMIC website.

What does OMIC do?

OMIC will put you in contact with the company so you can reach an agreement. We will also pass your claim onto other bodies or services if we believe this is necessary (for example, in health cases, inspections, etc.).

I have sent a query or claim by internet but I don't know if it has reached you.

We do not currently give out a registration number automatically. When your query or claim is processed, you will be sent an email with a file number. That is not an automatic process and it may take us a few days. 

If I have a problem with my lease, can I come to OMIC?

Only where you have not had your deposit returned. For all other cases, you will have to contact your district housing office.  

If we are a community of owners, can we submit a claim through OMIC?

Yes, if it concerns a consumer issue and everyone is making the claim, not just one person. 

It must be done through the president or an authorised owner. In such cases, apart from the usual documents, we will require the president's Spanish national ID (DNI) and a photocopy of the minutes of the meeting confirming the authorisation. If the president is unable to come, we will also need their written authorisation for another owner to carry out the procedure on their behalf.

Where can I go to find out about housing issues?

If you are looking for information on housing issues (communities of property owners, grants, access, support for problems, harassment, etc.,) you will have to contact your district housing office, which is responsible for these matters.

Housing Office opening hours: Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, 8.30 am-2 pmThurs, 8.30am-8pm.

For further information and booking an appointment in advance, you can call 010 or find out more at:

Housing Offices:

Ciutat Vella. Pintor Fortuny, 17-19. 08001 - Barcelona
L'Eixample. Ali Bei, 13-15. 08010 - Barcelona
Sants-Montjuïc. Antoni de Capmany, 23. 08028 - Barcelona
Les Corts. Remei, 9. 08014 - Barcelona
Sarrià-Sant Gervasi. Canet, 24. 08017 - Barcelona    
Gràcia. Francisco Giner, 14. 08012 - Barcelona
Horta-Guinardó. Llobregós, 175. 08032 - Barcelona
Nou Barris. Plaça Major de Nou Barris, 1. 08042 - Barcelona
Sant Andreu. Joan Torras, 49. 08030 - Barcelona
Sant Martí. Rambla del Poblenou, 154. 08018 - Barcelona

You will also find some useful information at the National Institute of Statistics (INE):

What guarantees do products have? 

New products have a two-year guarantee, but their defect is only deemed to have existed before purchase for the first six months after they have been bought. After that deadline until the end of the two-year guarantee period, it will be up to the consumer to demonstrate that the defect already existed when the product was handed over and is not due to use. 

The claim must always be brought to the notice of the salesperson, with the receipt or invoice.