Shops and economic activities generate waste that must be managed properly. According to the Decree No. 1/2009 of July 21 —which approves the revised text of the Law No. 6/1993 regulating waste of Catalonia— all shops and services must fulfil a number of obligations regarding waste management.
The City Council has provided a service aimed at regulating collection and sorting commercial waste management by prioritising several aspects:
- Sorting waste according to its origin and recycling it according to the different areas
- Adapting to specific needs of each production sector
- Distinguishing between circuits for citizens and circuits for business activities depending on the area
- Adapting rates to real production by promoting sorting
Commercial waste is the waste generated by the activity related to retail and wholesale trade:
- restaurants and hotels
- services: hospitals, schools, etc.